Injection Moulding is a manufacturing process for producing plastic parts in small, medium, or large volume. Typically, injection moulding is used in mass production processes where the same part is manufactured hundreds through to thousands of times in succession.
Why You Might Want to Use Injection Moulding
The biggest advantage of plastic injection moulding is the ability to scale production altogether. Once the initial cost of the mould tool has been paid, the price per unit is often extremely low. Moreover, the price tends to decrease when the quantity ordered is higher. There are several other benefits injection moulding offers, with the main two discussed below.
- Increased consistency and reliability
The process of plastic injection moulding is very repeatable, meaning the parts are going to be very close to identical. This is a significant benefit when trying to produce part consistency and reliability in high volume production.
- Low scrap rate
In comparison to other manufacturing processes such as CNC machining, injection moulding produces low scrap rates as substantial percentages of original materials don’t have to be cut away. However, it’s important to note that additive manufacturing processes like 3D printing offer even lower scrap rates.
Is injection moulding the right option for your application?
There are three important aspects to consider when deciding if injection moulding is best suited to your application:
1. Financial considerations
- The initial investment of tooling is expensive.
- It’s important to determine the number of parts in which need to be produced in order to ensure it’s the most cost-effective method of manufacturing.
2. Design considerations
- The part must be designed from the outset with injection moulding in mind.
- The tool mould should be designed to prevent any defects during production.
3. Production considerations
- Minimising cycle time as much as possible can translate into big savings when producing millions of parts.
- Design your part to minimise assembly. If possible, designing your part in a way that doesn’t require assembly will significantly reduce labour costs.
Customised solutions delivered
Our specialisation is in the industrialisation of your component to ensure when it’s moulded that it’s dimensionally and visually right. We offer a wide range of post moulding options and can assemble multiple components to create your final product. From technical design audits to material evaluation and also failure analysis, Goudsmit UK’s skilled engineers aim to provide cost-effective solutions. In addition to quality parts and a range of complementary services, at Goudsmit UK we can offer you:
- Expert design and FEA
- Full range of materials
- Extensive finishing capabilities
- Multiple tooling processes
We provide cost-effective, end-to-end service for manufacturing polymeric materials. From assessing your design methodology for production issues to guidance with material selection and advice on your production options, our aim is to minimise any quality related, as well as mechanical and engineering challenges.
For more information on our products and services download our brochure.
Contact us on +44 (0) 2890 271 001 or also at firstname.lastname@example.org